Governance Standards on Shari’a Compliance
The Corporate Governance for Islamic Financial Institutions is assuming a growing significance with the steep growth in Islamic Finance system both regionally and now globally. This industry has become a major source of wealth creation and financing of investment projects worldwide. Islamic Financial Institutions provide a viable option to savers and investors who are inclined to deal with exclusively Islamic financial system given their religious and ideological stance.
Governance includes the way financial institutions’ affairs are managed, through the role of the Board of Directors and senior management, which in turn affects the organizations’ objectives, taking into account the rights of shareholders and stakeholders, as well as protect the rights of its depositors.
• General and Special Features of Islamic Banks
• Islamic vs. Conventional Banks
• How does an Islamic Bank source and mobilize its funds?
• Islamic Finance Infrastructure
• The Source of Shari’a and Authorities on interpretation
• Accounting and Auditing Organization for Islamic Financial Institutions (AAOIFI)
• Shari’a Supervisory Boards (SSB)
• What is Corporate Governance?
• Do Islamic Banks require different Governance?
• Different theories and models of Corporate Governance
• Accountability of an Islamic Bank: Governance from an Islamic perspective
• Principles of Corporate Governance
• Poor Governance and Good Governance
• Principles for Enhancing Corporate Governance
Upon completion of this course, the participants will be able understand:
• Definition and concept of Corporate Governance
• The different views of Corporate Governance
• The various theories in the Corporate Governance framework
• The main Corporate Governance models
• The Corporate Governance in the banking sector and how it differs from other sectors
• The meaning of Governance form Islamic perspective
• The objectives of the AAOIFI standards on Corporate Governance and the various aspects of the standards.
3 days; 18 hours
“The trainings conducted by SKILLS (previously BFST) has always been a huge success among BIsB's employees! The employees have been able to obtain a new sense of confidence and have been able to communicate their ideas & concerns. Their input has given us the opportunity to implement new strategies and procedures to improve our banking services. Thank you SKILLS for your professionalism and commitment to excellence. I unequivocally recommend SKILLS to those interested in improving their employees' skills”.
Reem Al Mutawaj
Manager - Training & Development
Bahrain Islamic Bank
Kingdom of Bahrain